Saturday, January 25, 2020

Flags for my Tribe A Project Quilting Challenge

This week's Project Quilting challenge was to use our "team colors."  As I'm not a team person, I side-stepped and went with tribal flags to celebrate and remember all the "Molehill" kids. 


Two things shaped my idea:

My friend Gwen at The Hartley Hooligans invited her online community to mark that sad/sweet event of a child's birthday after their death with artistic or creative renderings of her name -- Claire --  which we then shared on Instagram.  Of course my contribution  was threads and fabric.



Additionally, this week marked the 10 year anniversary of the death of little Rachel B., a dearly loved and sorely missed young lady who was known for her sunny smiles, her love of horses, her messy hand-prints. . .  Tying in to the idea of thread-painting a name with free motion quilting that Gwen inspired, I also used the Scattered Sunshine logo from the website Rachel's family created to facilitate access to horseback therapy for other special needs kids.



And from there, I was off and making 8 more flags to commemorate, celebrate, and remember all the kids of the molehill, both those who have died and those who are continuing to live their unique, amazing lives.








(Note-- yes, our group does have two Daniel's and two Rachel's (in addition to me).

Each flag has little motifs or color choice that reminds me of stories or memories that I associate with each of the kids.  The molehill kids have been a treasured part of my life for very close to 20 years now, and there is a treasure trove of memories to draw on.

What will I do with these flags?  I have plans.  The molehill moms hope/plan/intend to have our 2nd get-together this summer at my house.  Pulling off an event like this is incredibly challenging, considering all the care needs and logistics for travel for 8 moms who do more than the average to keep complicated households chugging along, but hoping that we will meet up in July of 2020, I've got the backyard decor ready to to.  It'll look great draped around the fire pit and swings.  Festive, but not as flammable, as say, sky lanterns (inside joke there).  After our shindig?  I constructed them so that they can easily be made into pillow, should the recipient prefer a throw pillow over a wall hanging.

Thanks for a fun challenge, Kim Lapacek.  I learned some things as I stitched like a mad woman to complete these for the deadline.  Normally I would be tempted to try out more complicated techniques.  As I was working, I considred trying out couching to make the names pop more.  Or I considered using the rental Cricut cutter at our library to make stencils or vinyl transfers which would result in more uniform and polished motifs.  While that impulse to try out more complicated things is not all bad, it does sometimes lead to unfinished, stalled, frustrating zip lock baggies of projects that got too complicated.  I'm glad the deadline kept me in check and on task.  And who knows, I may yet go back and add in some things -- like grommets for hanging, or gilding paste to highlight certain portions.

4 comments:

  1. https://www.scarymommy.com/speaking-about-child-who-died/?fbclid=IwAR0vo9bJ4nsCFS-CTlVVrWWlBXAFm94tCooY53I69ilc9OiUqz-k11ZO24Y

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for pointing me to your blog to share more of your story and photos of your work. And what a creative idea to make them convertible to a pillow. I'm still in awe that you made ten quilts in a week. What a thoughtful project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. So sweet of you to read further. It was a fun project, for a very dear group of people.

      Delete