Wednesday, March 23, 2022

The Great Big Scrappy Quilt of 2021

 Like most quilters, I have a lot of scraps.  They're little bits of left overs from previous projects, or baggies given to me by a friend, or sometimes a random fat quarter purchased impulsively.  I love scraps.  But I also struggle to control the scraps.  So, I have rules.  I have a limited number of bins for scraps.  And when my scraps start to overflow the bin, I have to use them or get rid of them.  Since some of my scraps have been with me since the 1980s, we have some attachment issues, and I am pretty motivated to use my scraps rather than discarding them.  One of my strategies for scrap control is to make a large, scrappy quilt every year.  I make blocks or units of the quilt throughout the year, and my rule for myself is that however many blocks I have on Jan 1 of the new year is the number of blocks I have to work with.  I try to get it assembled and quilted by the end of Jan.  

So here's my GBSQ for 2021.  I don't really have a name for this pattern.  I was given an orphan block by a quilting friend which I used for inspiration.  It's basically just flying geese and 4 patch units.



I played around a bit with extending the pattern into the border to make it more interesting






The backing is pieced of two chunks of yardage I had on hand -- pink polka dots and a yellow geometric.  And with all that color and pattern going on, why not add some bold stripes as binding?


No comments:

Post a Comment