Monday, February 17, 2014

Just another day or so

I spent a month and 3 days in the hospital with my son as he recovered from a spinal fusion surgery and complications. My sewing project during that time was doing the hand applique on these Dresden Plate blocks.
They're very scrappy blocks, with portions of a pack of charm squares from "Vintage Modern" by Bonnie and Camille, together with all the scrappy bits in my stash that remotely go with the dominant floral print. I didn't spend a lot of time with placement of individual blades in these blocks, preferring to go with a very scrappy and informal look.



I appliqued the 12 blocks in 14 days, each day thinking, maybe we go home soon.  But then D had a bunch of complications which lengthened our stay, for "just another day or so". I had to wait until I had a few hours at home to make the center circles, which I completed during the last week we were in-patient.  My little trick for applique circles is to use water soluble interfacing to back the circles-- it disappears after the first washing, leaving perfect (or as close to perfect as I get) circles with a uniform turned edge.

Here they all are-- just need to decide on a sashing and cornerstone blocks. I have a grey print I plan to use for the back and binding. And there is enough to use it for sashing too, if I decide to go that route.


No comments:

Post a Comment