Monday, February 17, 2014

Quilting Bees -- 2014 style

As a little challenge to myself to work outside my own comfort zone, I joined an online quilting bee.  The idea is that each member takes a turn as the Queen of the hive and picks a block, colorway, and style for the blocks which each member will make and then send to her. Each of us (theoretically) will make a block for every other member, and will in turn receive 10 blocks from other hive members.  I've been in online swap groups before, so I know the potential for disappointment and failures, but it's still fun, and a good way to force myself to try something new.

For January, we made these strip pieced star blocks with a pallette of black and white, grey, navy, aqua and salmon/peach.
Pretty, yes?

For February, the block requires paper piecing and curved seams-- a  New York Beauty pattern.

These blocks just about did me in. There's a reason I've sworn I would never do curved piecing ever again, as these blocks reminded me.

I'm mailing them untrimmed, leaving it to the queen bee of the month to figure out how to trim to uniform or at least usable sizes.



No comments:

Post a Comment